a phrase, really
it's that time of year. time to write down goals, resolve to accomplish projects, regimens, and routines in hopes that they will become habits and a lifestyle. I love it. "resolution" has such a negative connotation that most people don't even admit to them anymore, but it's still exciting to see people reevaluate their lives and make a choice, even if it is only temporary, to do things better.
many people choose a "word" for the year. I was kind of anti-word choosing for a while, but last year I embraced it. completely, apparently, because I chose three words. I still can't remember what the third one was, but the first two I would say remained themes even until the very end of 2013.
this year, I just couldn't come up with a word. I couldn't think of one word that summarized where God has my heart. so I chose a phrase. a theme, or a prayer, I guess, that I can't seem to let go of. Jesus is my treasure. all the things I want to accomplish or do better or be all come back to this theme that Jesus is my treasure. not stuff. not my kids. not my involvement in activities. not my productivity. not my wardrobe. not my contribution to society. not, heaven help me, myself.
when Jesus is my treasure, generosity will flow. when Jesus is my treasure, I can let go of the control I want over time, children, appearance, future plans, and success. when Jesus is my treasure, I will want to spend time in His Word and in His presence. when Jesus is my treasure, my heart will be inclined to love and serve God's people. when Jesus is my treasure, His priorities and desires will dictate how we use our time and resources. when Jesus is my treasure, my heart will be in tune with the one thing that really holds all significance and worth.
I am reading through Deuteronomy this month and while reading through chapter 6 the other day, a verse stood out to me that hadn't before. "You shall not go after other gods, the gods of the peoples who are around you-- for the Lord your God is a jealous God..." (Deut. 6:14-15a). In its correct context, God was literally talking about false gods that the foreigners around God's people would worship. Idolatry is just as rampant now as it was in Moses' day. It is so easy for my heart to get distracted by the "good things" of others. "but they have....", "but their kids...", "but they do...". Idols are often good things that become a God thing and that's a bad thing. Jesus, be my treasure.
I have a few verses I am praying for the year, but the primary verse that sums up my "theme" is Psalm 16:11,
"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
many people choose a "word" for the year. I was kind of anti-word choosing for a while, but last year I embraced it. completely, apparently, because I chose three words. I still can't remember what the third one was, but the first two I would say remained themes even until the very end of 2013.
this year, I just couldn't come up with a word. I couldn't think of one word that summarized where God has my heart. so I chose a phrase. a theme, or a prayer, I guess, that I can't seem to let go of. Jesus is my treasure. all the things I want to accomplish or do better or be all come back to this theme that Jesus is my treasure. not stuff. not my kids. not my involvement in activities. not my productivity. not my wardrobe. not my contribution to society. not, heaven help me, myself.
when Jesus is my treasure, generosity will flow. when Jesus is my treasure, I can let go of the control I want over time, children, appearance, future plans, and success. when Jesus is my treasure, I will want to spend time in His Word and in His presence. when Jesus is my treasure, my heart will be inclined to love and serve God's people. when Jesus is my treasure, His priorities and desires will dictate how we use our time and resources. when Jesus is my treasure, my heart will be in tune with the one thing that really holds all significance and worth.
I am reading through Deuteronomy this month and while reading through chapter 6 the other day, a verse stood out to me that hadn't before. "You shall not go after other gods, the gods of the peoples who are around you-- for the Lord your God is a jealous God..." (Deut. 6:14-15a). In its correct context, God was literally talking about false gods that the foreigners around God's people would worship. Idolatry is just as rampant now as it was in Moses' day. It is so easy for my heart to get distracted by the "good things" of others. "but they have....", "but their kids...", "but they do...". Idols are often good things that become a God thing and that's a bad thing. Jesus, be my treasure.
I have a few verses I am praying for the year, but the primary verse that sums up my "theme" is Psalm 16:11,
"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
Comments
Post a Comment
Please comment...i would love to hear from you!