DIY workout

it's holiday time. life is busy, the schedule is full, lots of yummy treats around. finding time to exercise? anyone?

the best way to keep to an exercise schedule during the holidays is to sign up to run a half marathon in January! sneaky, sneaky. although it sure is nice to balance out all those ____ I ate at the Christmas party with a ten-mile run the coming weekend.

if there is an idea I can support, it is definitely exercise and staying fit. this can look a million different ways for a million different people with a million different lives. that's the beauty of healthy living-- perfectly customizable.

so, if you line up the list of excuses (and we all have them, don't we?)...I don't have time, I'm not a member of a gym, I like to work out with someone, I don't have any exercise equipment in my house, it rains all the time where I live and it's cold and I have little kids, etc, etc, etc...there's just no solution, is there?

there is. here's one option that will knock out at least a few of those excuses.

do it yourself. everyone is a fan of DIY crafts, projects, home remodeling, etc. but when it comes to exercise, we want the overnight, easy-peasy, just give me a pill and let me eat to my heart's content exercise regimen!

when i'm in a bind-- no gym, bad weather, kids not feeling well and need to stay home, kids napping-- I do it myself. no, I don't run in place for an hour. BORING!

how about something like this...

-50 squats
-50 push-ups (I break these up between other exercises)
-50 sit-ups (full crunches or scissor kicks)
-50 lunges
-free weight routine: example: 30 triceps, 20 bicep curl/lunge walks, 30 overhead presses while balancing on one leg and kicking the other out simultaneously, 50 squat with crossover punches (holding weights).

you can do this in less than 30 minutes. you can do this without any fancy equipment (if you don't own weights, use canned foods, 4-5 lb bags of sugar or flour, or your small and hopefully cooperative child). you can do this with a baby crawling all over you. you can do this in the comfort of your own home, with music blaring if you wish, or with the tv on. it's so doable. and if you don't have 30 minutes all at one time, then split it up. do a few sets of push-ups before you jump in the shower. kick out those sit-ups or squats before bed. doing it all at one time does provide a bit of cardio, as you get your heart rate up very quickly! you might even be sore the next day!

so, there you have it. the solution to the merry Christmas, kiss your exercise plan goodbye, blues!

my apologies for no pictures to demonstrate these exercises. levi was the only one awake and, well, he's not so good with the camera yet.

Comments

Popular Posts